01 September 2010

One Man's Discovery

On Canada’s West Coast, north of Cape Scott on Vancouver Island and south of the Alaskan border lies a vast wilderness; my favourite place in the world.  The distance between these two points is only 400 kilometres, but inside is contained a place of vast natural beauty where one can lose themselves and find themselves.  When I am there, I lose myself inside the waves and among the trees.  I never want to leave.  Each step through the moss and sway of the boat is an adventure.  At the same time, this place acts as a prism; each water drop focuses my mind on what is important in my life.
This place, where terra firma meets the sea and sky, is a land of wonder, myth, timelessness and adventure; a place where the Raven reigns.  This pneumatic, terrestrial and aquatic wilderness is riddled with rocks, islands, glacial river valleys, inlets and fiords.  An Etch A Sketch® of geographic proportions, which if stretched out in a straight coast-line, would measure 16,000 kilometres!  Every single one of those kilometres bristles with gem-like islands; crystalline lakes and tide pools; waterfalls as elegant and delicate as a wedding veil or as powerful as a thundering deluge; and towering, monolithic trees.  Hundreds of these features are yet to be named, some are still uncharted, but all of them are teeming with life.  Sea lions, porpoises, whales, seals, wolves, black bears, Kermode bears, grizzly bears, sea birds, otters, bald eagles, ravens and the life giving salmon all call this place home.  The biological productivity of this emerald and sapphire wilderness is unmatched anywhere on Earth.  It has a biomass of 500 tons per acre; 40 percent greater than the tropical rainforest.
There is a beauty in this landscape that I have yet to see equalled anywhere in the world.  I recall the first time a came here.  It was aboard the Sail Training Vessel Maple Leaf, on a 2 week cadet Tall Ship Deployment.    As a young Petty Officer 2nd Class, my eyes were about as wide as moon snails with the wonder and newness of the experiences.  We learned navigation, traditional sailing, watched wildlife, soaked in hot springs, explored old growth forests, ate fresh seafood and sang sea shanties.  This two week experience with my fellow cadets was like none I had ever had before.  I decided then and there that I wanted to come back.

And here I am, years later, working for a company that pays me to explore this beautiful place.  For eight months of the year I explore this wild BC coastline on a 70’ sailing yacht; everyday experiencing something new.  That is what keeps me coming back.  Some days it rains a lot, on other days I might have to have a serious argument with a piece of boat machinery, but all I have to do is look outside the porthole and I am reminded of why I love my job and being in this place.

I encourage you to use the cadet program to its fullest as I have.  Experience what this program and country has to offer, and who knows?  Maybe you will find a rewarding job and beautiful landscape.  I know I have.    There is an adventure in those trees and between the waves.  The raven is calling you to go find it.

   
Written by B. Rainbow / Photos by D. Rainbow